Monday, April 4, 2011

In the Eye of the Storm

My father said to me recently, "sometimes we cannot see what everyone else arounds us sees because we are too caught up in our own lives." I have been telling my clients the same thing for over a decade. When they come to me, they are usually caught in the eye of a storm-- it is not just the legal reality of a divorce that is hitting them, but they are struggling with severe emotional and financial consequences that result from a separation. At this juncture, it is imperative that people seek out help from family, friends and trusted experts because it is simply humanly impossible to weather this storm alone.

I understand that it can be hard to ask for help.  For most of my life, I have gotten by trying to rely on my own resources. By not expecting anything from anyone else, I was less likely to be disappointed. But it has been a very lonely road, and while professionally I've gained tremendous recognition the last several years, in my personal life I had to face some of the worst challenges ever as a result of the economy tanking and major family developments that required immediate attention. Without the help of others, I never would have gotten through all the personal setbacks suffered last year. To need help from others can be a very humbling experience-- no doubt I needed that.

Now that I think the storm is a bit more behind me, I am able to see the big picture. When people ask me how I have managed to get through everything I have been through, all I can really truly say is I did not get this far on my own.  No one can navigate through life operating as if s/he lives on a solitary island-- especially when you are in the eye of a storm.  With the right help, you can get through it, and after the storm has passed you will see things much more clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment