Friday, August 24, 2012

With Relationships, Perfection Is The Enemy of Good

Voltaire is credited with the saying, "perfection is the enemy of the good." No where is that more appropriate than in personal relationships. No one is pefect-- we all have our flaws, and sadly those who are stubbornly waiting for Mr. or Ms. Perfect to come around are probably going to die alone.

For those of us motivated to share our lives with someone, we need to learn to pick our battles. I have learned to accept that it's not possible to have it all, so instead I just do my checklist to make sure that the good outweighs the bad. I admit that my attitude adjustment didn't happen overnight, and in large part stems from having witnessed so many people throw away their spouses or friends like disposable Kleenex.

What I see every day as a divorce lawyer is very sad, but I have to say it has also saved me. There is a lot of good out there, and I do believe that in order to appreciate the good you have to experience some of the bad stuff.  But those who seek perfection will be sorely disappointed in life.  Thankfully, by giving up my quest for perfection I have come to appreciate the true beauty in our flawed human existence and the bonds we choose to form while on this Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment