Friday, April 19, 2013

Angels & Demons

No, I am not writing about Dan Brown's book, although I did enjoy it very much after some random stranger recommended that I read it a few years ago.  There I was, waiting for a friend at some bar, minding my own business reading The Da Vinci Code, when this cute guy approached me and started talking to me about the book I was reading until my friend arrived. No, I never went out on a date with this guy, but I did follow his advice, and that kept me entertained for another few weeks.

Those who know me are aware of the fact that I am constantly meeting new people, and little tid bits that I learn here and there have this amazing ability to take me in a new and exciting direction-- either personally or professionally.  Last week, I was reminded of this knack I have for meeting great people (and no, I don't think it is a coincidence), and I just have to give a shout out to all the wonderful gentle souls that have reached out and made a connection-- even if ever so brief.

First, thanks to the lovely woman that I met on the train ride up to New York, for she truly was a tremendous help to me as I was formulating the speech I wanted to give about the importance of scholarships.  Then, on the ride back, I met a sweet gentleman, who helped me find a seat in the snack car because the train was oversold.  While at the snack car, I met some other passengers, who told me I should call and complain about my train experience because they were convinced I would get a voucher that I could use in the future, and sure enough I got $150 towards my next ticket because of the delays and seating issues I had encountered!  You all rock and made that trip awesome.

Now, I could go on and on about all the bizarre encounters I have had over the last 40 years-- but really, that is best left for a novel, not a blog.  However, I truly want to emphasize that none of the great things in my life could have occurred without the intervention of angels.  Whether you believe in God or not, there is an undeniable force that surrounds us, and truly the more open you are and the more positive your attitude, I firmly believe good things will come to you. 

The past few weeks, despite some great challenges, I have been surrounded by angels.  My faith has undoubtedly helped me through a great deal, but ultimately it is real-live individuals with small acts of kindness that continually restore my belief in humanity and the notion that good does conquer evil.  It is unfortunate that you need the bad to appreciate the good, and we all have to stay on our guard for the demons out there-- but make sure to appreciate the angels here on Earth.  Angels are real-- you just need to open your heart to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment