Monday, July 2, 2012

What Happens When Acts of God Intervene?

This weekend, the DC Area was hit by a terrible storm that left thousands without power. Many trees in my neighborhood fell and destroyed several cars. One tree behind my building caused a power line to go down and a fire broke out; meanwhile the building next door had a tree fall on top of the roof. In the middle of the night, I had to pack an emergency bag and wait for instructions on whether to evacuate-- but our egress was blocked by trees on the road, so immediate escape was not an option. Somehow, my son slept through everything-- completely oblivious to the chaos around us. The next morning, with the threat of peril behind us, I have to admit I felt wiped out. In the last 18 months, this area has been hit with a severe snowstorm aka Snowmaggeden, two earthquakes, a hurricane, and now this tornado. It is almost as if these Acts of God are trying to highlight a reality I've been trying to ignore for some time: we are all human; no one is invincable. This begs the question- can I really face another 7 years without a partner? I humbly admit the answer is no. Thankfully, I did not have to dwell on these thoughts for very long. Somehow, despite an inablity to phone and text anyone, my email describing the situation reached the person who has become an important part of my life over the last several months, and he left his cart full of groceries and rushed over to check on me. I did not have to spend the next 24 hours alone, and even though all our plans were disrupted because the movie theater did not have power, restaurants were either closed or packed, and traffic was a nightmare due to lights being out almost everywhere, together we were able to enjoy a peaceful weekend, and I was made aware of a key point in my quest for love that I have been denying for years: every now and then, it is okay to give up the savior role and instead be the one in need of a rescuer.

No comments:

Post a Comment