Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Looking Back In Order to Move Forward

Six years ago, in March 2005 I did the unexpected-- I got separated. For 32 years, I did everything I was expected to do: finished law school, got married, bought a house, a nice car, a Golden Retriever, and had a child. It seems like the perfect recipe for a happy ending, but I was miserable. So, we sold the house, I traded in the Mercedes, the dog died, I divorced my husband, and now I only see my son half the time. Am I better off?

Well, I guess it depends on how you view things. I miss the things I had, but I do not miss the person I once was-- I am a much better lawyer because of what I have experienced; I have greater empathy and understanding for my clients, and I have gained insight about myself by delving into the past instead of simply focusing on planning for the future.

Looking for the new Mr. Right has become like a quest for finding a unicorn. But regardless of whether I ever find him, I am grateful for the lessons I have learned these past six years, and look forward to what lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment